Thursday, April 3, 2008

Yay! project mode

Of all the time I spend doing projects, only a fraction is in the state of mind I call project mode. Maybe it's flowstate, maybe it's bliss, maybe it's my golden self. People call this state of mind a lot of things. It is a happy place for me. The last few days, I have been in project mode. It makes being at work incredibly painful. I spend approximately 1% of my employed hours in project mode. That directly translates to 1% of my employed hours existing in that happy place.

The chalkboard table was a qualified success. I say qualified only because a full erasure of the writing below left permanent grooves in the vinyl surface. I've come to terms with that. It holds me accountable. Maybe it will help me swear less. People who don't know me well think I'm demure. It has its advantages. I only have to listen to fart jokes on my own terms. Plus, my 'occasional' curses pack a heavy punch. Not like at home- where they are background noise at best.
Here is a super tidy version of project mode.


On the table is a recipe project. It is an abridged version of what it could and should be- made possible only by Kinko's 49 cent color copies. I can't afford to execute the project on a grander scale. Nor could I afford to make copies of copies, which necessitated learning how to scan on the self-serve copier. The Kinko's nearest me is staffed by fifty morons and this one guy who knows how to work the machines. So, I had to hightail it to Kinko's during his shift on my lunch break to get schooled on the 4-up scan function. I'm a big fan of educational byproducts. Most of my learning is incidental, meaning that I have rarely learned anything without making a huge fool of myself. I'll showcase the finished project at some point in the near future. Also on the table is my newest acquisition. My Manga Drawing Kit. It is truly awesome.


I brought it home two nights ago and Jon's response was that he never knew I wanted to draw manga characters. Which just goes to show- after 7 years together, there is still a whole lot you might not know about someone. I understand his skepticism. Most people who buy a Manga Drawing Kit in the book bin of the grocery store would be acting on impulse. This is different. I had to dig through the entire book bin to find the components of the kit. If I weren't so passionate about manga (ahem...Jon), that might have stopped me in my tracks.

No comments: