Monday, April 7, 2008

more cream, please

the rockstars of Dunn Bros. Lake Street




These are a few of the characters at the coffee shop I frequent. The place is pretty hodge-podge. The decor is middle-eastern meets church youth group lounge. There's even a piano that people get yelled at for playing. Whenever I see a movie about musicians, I consider buying this piano from the owner. Seems like we'd both get something out of it. He would get rid of his noisome piano. I would finally realize that my dream of being a musician is exactly that. At Dunn Bros. they roast their own beans. Their coffee is great. More than the coffee, I like the staff. Two words. Looney Tunes. I suffer slightly from barista envy.

I made a pointless resolution this year to stop using sweetener in my coffee. I'm not anti-sweetener. It's not like Diet Coke has ever struck me as a slow dagger to the heart, or brain, or whatever it is the naysayers say. It actually really bothers me when people get all high and mighty about not using nutrasweet or the like, saying 'It completely alters your brain chemistry. It just messes with your head.' Get over it. They've clearly never been so poor that they had to live off the stuff. At my most impoverished, I would buy generic lemon concentrate and mix it with water and generic Sweet-n-Low. Poor man's Crystal Light. Being poor is littered with confessions of this sort. Artificial sweeteners are probably the tenth or so thing I would die from and I'm only overly concerned with the first. But for whatever reason, I made the resolution and I'm trying to stick to it. The only real change has been that I drink a lot less coffee. And I drink it with a lot more cream.

No comments: