Wednesday, April 9, 2008

mind games

Apparently, the secret to a lengthy life is playing a lot of these. Last night I gave it my all. Yoga, then chess. It was Jon's idea and I took the bait without hesitation. I saw it as the perfect opportunity to realize the romantic version of myself that I often fantasize about. The one that reads entire chapters of books in one sitting, listens to what people are saying without interrupting them, looks out the window once in a while without an agenda. The romantic notion of me also does yoga and can play a game of chess without needing a snack. This is how the night progressed.

The yoga. I have one yoga video. There is nothing impossible to do on this video. It is perfect for me. I kept telling Jon the video was almost over because that is what I tell myself. Next time I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

The chess.


I admit. I was more excited about turning the chalkboard table into a chessboard than I was about learning how to play chess for the tenth time. Yes, it is a bad sign when something must be learned on ten separate occasions. Euchre is another example of a game I don't care enough about to remember how to play it. I am hoping the chalkboard table will change all that. Not only will I throw more dinner parties- I will become a Euchre junkie and an extreme chess player. But before my life changes irreparably, I want to take a moment to relish the fabulousness of this chess set.


It reminds me of that line in As Good As It Gets where Jack Nicholson says 'you make me want to be a better man.' This chess set is like that for me. Chess-wise.

No comments: