Sunday, June 8, 2008

June 6, historically

A day rich in significance. D-Day. The death of Robert F. Kennedy. My birthday. This used to be a day on which I looked forward to a slumber party, or a trip to Chuck-ee Cheese (formerly ShowBiz pizza), or, at the very least, taking a treat to school. This year I could only think to myself, 'a lot of really depressing stuff happens on this day.' It hasn't always been that way.

top six birthday moments:

-mom's yellow cupcakes cut in half with a brownie in the center to look like hamburgers with yellow and red frosting as condiments

-the year my slumber party got busted for making prank calls and, later, when my friends were long gone, for the forgotten undies in the freezer

-Jon's gift of a pink Kitchen-Aid mixer, unofficially the world's most well-traveled mixer

-the year that my crush on Nicholas Cage coincided with Con-Air's June 6th release date

-realizing that my mom's decision to make krispie bars with generic crisped rice was undetected by my fellow students (until the unveiling in the classroom, I thought she had used rice chex and was completely prepared to be shunned by my entire third-grade class for bringing retarded rice krispie treats)

-warm biscuits with Jamie and Jon at the Clinton Street Bakery and Restaurant (see recipe below), followed by Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, which Jon now uses as proof of my birthday being a sentence that he bears annually. Fair enough.

This year I technically had two pre-birthday celebrations. I also opened every present and card as they arrived. I welcomed these occasions in the hope that I would not feel sorry for myself come lunch hour at the job on my birthday. It didn't work. On Tuesday, Jon and I went to a pre-birthday Twins Game in the company of our friends, Gretchen and Jeff. Jon insisted I share an action shot from the evening.


For those on whom the action is lost- that would be an airborne peanut.


* Clinton Street Baking Company biscuits I only just uncovered this recipe as I reminisced. Note that 8 cups of flour somehow converts to 'about a dozen' biscuits. Fair warning- these biscuits will be as big as your head and they will not be nearly as good as the biscuits at Clinton Street Baking Company. Biscuits are 99% execution, which is exactly why biscuit gurus don't mind giving out their recipe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool guy.