Tuesday, May 20, 2008

who cares?

Probably just me, but here's three scenarios that I confronted on Sunday. I was plagued by what exactly the right thing to do was in each.

Scenario 1- Lemonade stand at a garage sale. Small glass 50 cents, large glass one dollar. Young girl manning the stand. Even considering that I feel poor right now, my ruling is that lemonade must be purchased. There are almost no exceptions to this rule. I would visit an ATM if it came to that.

Scenario 2- Man on the street asks me for change. I give the negative nod before he even comes shoulder to shoulder with me. When he does- I see he has no nose. Just a gaping hole acting as a nostril. There may or may not have been a shred of bone dividing the chasm. In my mind, this changes things. I am both repulsed and filled with sympathy. But a little voice inside of me says, 'I only know one thing that could make a nose disappear like that.'

Scenario 3- Girl in front of me waiting for the stop light to change. Jean skirt on backwards. Obviously backwards. Fly in back and two front pockets on her rear end. I don't think she's trying to make a statement. She must have reasoned the whole thing out poorly and would likely be mortified if she ever comes to the realization.

No comments: