Wednesday, May 7, 2008

selling out

I've been thinking about selling out a lot lately. I hate the term. I would almost go so far as to say I hate people who use the term, except that I use it pretty often. Self-loathing isn't really my generation's style. We're more into self-righteousness. Just ask anyone approximately the same age as me. Don't ask directly. Just ask us anything. You'll see what I mean.

A few months ago, an acquaintance of mine mentioned offhand that Anthony Bourdain was selling out. This claim was not in reference to any particular action. Just generally speaking. I put some heat on him and he backed down without a fight. Actually, he changed his tune completely- which bugged me even more. I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Anthony Bourdain, but selling out is not something to treat lightly. Sometimes I get worked up about things I don't care much about. Like Anthony Bourdain and the state of his soul. I guess it was the mention of selling out that bugged me. Selling out is personal. Let Anthony Bourdain decide if he's selling out. I know when I'm selling out. I also have a pretty good idea when the President of the United States is selling out, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

As for me- I'm going to be selling out a little bit less.
Just take my word for it.

No comments: