Friday, May 9, 2008

suitcase: part one

The stars were aligned on Thursday. The day before, as Jon and I were donating an uplifting mass of stuff to Salvation Army (my fave store on 38th), I spotted a vintage suitcase that had just been donated. I should explain that Jon and I were specifically looking for two or three 'new' vintage suitcases. To stash old sweaters in- in lieu of closet space- and to contain the bulk of Jon's CD collection. The need for the suitcase was not spontaneous.

The next day I biked back on my lunch break to claim it as my own. When I entered the store, Jill greeted me with 'sweetie' or 'honey' or something of the like from behind the counter. One of the regular employees asked if I had the purple monster out for a ride. That's my bike. All karmic signs said PROCEED. So when the suitcase was nowhere to be found, I stepped cautiously into the back sorting room and honed in on it. Long story short, a helper in the back said she had to check with Jill behind the counter to see what to charge. This did not throw me. Jill and I operate on a level of deep respect. I donate tons of stuff and never ask for bargains. Consequently, she gives me super deals and addresses me by terms of endearment.

Jill's inspection revealed that the suitcase wouldn't open. This could have been disastrous. There was clearly something locked in it. Something that sounded like a clothes hanger but could just as easily have been a vintage Rolex. Jill could have claimed that she wouldn't sell it, not knowing the contents. I couldn't blame her. But Jill is cool beyond reason. She sold the suitcase to me for $3. I promised to bring back anything resembling treasure and split the booty.

She stepped out to take a smoke as I arranged myself on my bike with my suitcase. I told her how excited I was to have it. 'It's the little things, sweetheart,' she said. Her little thing being the cigarette and my little thing being a ratty suitcase that proceeded to stain my pantleg with its fake tan hide all the way home. But she's right.



Damn. Hangers.

No comments: