Friday, October 2, 2009

farewell to sushi snake

Sometimes turning over a new leaf requires getting rid of a few things. Sorry sushi snake. It was great while it lasted.


I recently got rid of many cherished things. The plastic/yarn needlework pitcher last seen bearing tulips, my blue Dolce Vita suede pumps that I had never worn, the red roses hat made from upholstery pilfered from a chair found by the dumpster, the dress I wore to Matt and Liz's wedding, my Big City Junk book, etc. I cherish things too readily.

This October, I am getting rid of things via making other things out of them. This will involve ripping up many dear old textiles that I have carried with me, unused, for years. I will be adding a zipper to a beautiful 11'x 10' threadbare rug, making curtains out of things not intended to be curtains, experimenting with leather handicrafts, getting my cross-stitch on, and making pillows for the first time. It should be fun.

first project- Curtains made out of top piece of a rather homely quilt. $4 at a garage sale where they apparently believe our grandmothers should be working in sweatshops. I am in the deconstruction stages on this one.

2 comments:

JWOOD said...

May I have sushi snake? Or is it long gone?

jackie said...

Check your local Savers, or maybe the Salvation army on 10th Ave downtown. Don't be fooled. Should taste like soy sauce.