Thursday, October 8, 2009

iDye

Projects beget projects. Last Thursday, a project requiring high-gloss white paint led to a high-gloss white patch on the elbow of my otherwise black jacket. I lifted my arm from the workbench and realized that the lid from the paint can was stuck to me. Never a good sign. I immediately soaked the arm of my jacket, brushed it vigorously with a retired toothbrush, and doused it with paint thinner. All for naught.

Enter iDye. I cannot heap praises on iDye. It requires a large pot and stirring device that will never again be used for preparing food. No one owns a giant pot for uses other than cooking. It's the equivalent of telling my mother that she can never again use her serrated knife to cut the twine from bales of hay down in the barn. I used a cooking pot anyway. A cheap pot we've been thinking of getting rid of and a metal spatula slated for Goodwill. Then thoroughly cleaned them with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser before washing them.

I now have a jet-black jacket with barely distinguishable white stains and bright white pillow shams with barely distinguishable black stains. #1 rule of dovetailing- don't even think of dying something black while brightening your whites.

No comments: