Monday, November 24, 2008

seven random things

Sarah at Saipua tagged me! Jon told me this a week ago and I thought I knew what he was talking about. Until today, when I actually realized what he was talking about. Long story short, I owe the blog world Seven Random Things about yours truly.

1. I talk too much. I have been given the book Little Miss Chatterbox by two different people. One of them didn't know me very well. Every year I secretly make a New Year's resolution to talk less. Secret until now.

2. When I was little, I declared my favorite food to be radishes. I don't know why. I think I didn't know you could have the same favorite food as someone else. Today my favorite food is the center piece of any undercooked quick bread or cake. Never leave me in charge of taking your quick bread out of the oven. It already looks done to me.

3. I have massive tooth anxiety. This stems from an 8-year hiatus on dental care followed immediately by 14 fillings (I so wish I was exaggerating for effect) and a crown two years after that. I regularly have tooth dreams in which my teeth are not teeth at all, but carrots or shapes vaguely resembling teeth crafted from a substance like the petrified foam that comprises the cushions of old sofas. My teeth then proceed to grow or crumble or contort or multiply in a variety of shocking ways. I wake up much like I fell asleep- probing my teeth with my tongue. The relief upon awakening to find all of my teeth intact is profound. The other upside, I floss religiously.

4. My sister, Jamie, and I have a secret language that we use to communicate with each other. It is actually the English language, but spoken with such poor enunciation that we believe we are the only ones who can understand it. We don't really close our mouths when we speak to each other in this way. It comes off looking like we have both suffered massive strokes. In truth, we do not always understand each other when using this language and it is quite possible that casual observers are more adept at translating than ourselves. There have been times when Jamie initiated a conversation in this language in public and I had to pretend I didn't know what she was talking about/what was wrong with her. I believe traitor is the word for that.

5. I break out in hives on my chest and on my neck when I get nervous. I used to pretend I liked dresses with high collars so that I could hide my red blotchy neck during the Christmas programs at school. I lusted after a turtleneck swimsuit in middle school, but was too embarrassed to ask my mom to buy it for me.

6. Two butterfly facts: 1) I followed a butterfly downtown when I was 4 years old. My Grandpa was supposed to be watching me. I chased it straight to the police station where they found me, took me in and fed me a fudgesicle. I really learned my lesson. 2) My Community Theatre debut was as a butterfly when I was in kindergarten. I flitted once across the stage in the opening scene of Once Upon A Clothesline. Dad was the lead clothespin.

7. I write letters. I always have and I always will.


I tag Jon.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I too was in love with radishes as a child. It began after watching Rapunzel on Faerie Tale Theatre because Jeff Bridges stole a bunch of radishes from a witch's yard for his pregnant wife.

Gotta love The Dude.