Sunday, November 23, 2008

the bronx revisited

Jamie and I did a little bit of everything on my trip to the bronx. I'll stick to the highlights that translate directly to things everyone should attempt to do when visiting nyc. First, check out Free Friday Night at the MoMA. Otherwise it will cost you $30 to get in. And, if your budget is anything like mine, spending $30 on a museum virtually guarantees the day's largest coffee drink counts as lunch and a slice of pizza for dinner. It is crowded but you simply have to chill out. The big bonus is not having to make good on your investment by sticking around for a few hours. Ogle and run.

We hit the Brownstoner's Brooklyn Flea on Sunday and agreed that it was the best flea we had been to in NYC. Not the biggest, but the best blend of quality vendors- food and objects alike. I found a silk smoking jacket. Jamie visited an old fave from the Hell's Kitchen Flea, the ceiling tile guy. I bought a handful of vintage hardware from him to revamp my kitchen cabinets. We ate a world class huerache. Please visit this flea. Especially on Sundays through December 21st, when an amazing collection of artisans sell wares directly across the street. If you can't find a gift here for someone on your list, they don't deserve anything.

On to Saipua. We love Eric and Sarah. I bought soaps that smell good enough to eat. All of their offerings are impeccably packaged. This year, give the gift that is too beautiful to wrap.

And if you're packing your goods in a suitcase, you will freshen your entire holiday wardrobe en route. Jon and I are devotees of Sarah's blog. Check it out.

A final recommendation. Go to the little owl in the west village. It is on the corner of Grove and Bedford. Try the meatball sliders and everything else you can afford. Jamie and I had a fantastic meal and dined so close to Ralph Lauren that I had to resist the temptation to pat his head. My only regret from the whole trip is resisting that temptation.

No comments: