Wednesday, November 5, 2008

philosophical question

How many calendars does a man need?


For my dad, there is no possible way to answer this question. Calendars are his weakness. Calendars and picture books. I think my dad views calendars as a one-up on picture books. Because you can open it up a year later and remind yourself of what day your anniversary was on. This is why the basement holds decades of calendars. Since Dad stopped keeping a journal, he has been compelled to keep every calendar as historical record. Every year Dad buys more calendars than the number of rooms he enters on a daily basis. He buys so many calendars that he has had to master the art of downloading them on other people and in other people's rooms. I never turn down a calendar from Dad because I know he is counting on me to receive them. Last weekend he gave me a 2009 calendar of China. He was mesmerized by it. Which is why he bought 2 of them. We spent a little QT marveling over the thumbnails on the back cover through the cellophane. I love fanatics. But more than that, I love fanatics who spread it around. Dad is wholly generous with his compulsions. He has yet to meet his match. The thought is terrifying.

No comments: