Thursday, September 18, 2008

born again levis

Jon wore a pair of his favorite levis to death recently. He was lamenting over the fact that he couldn't make them into shorts, crotchless shorts being no more acceptable than crotchless jeans. I said I would make a hat out of them- the chorus of my recent life. This is not unlike a small child grabbing for the hot burner a seventh time. But Jon had the good sense to mask his true sentiments and let me make a hat. It turned out less goofy than usual. I sewed a beltloop to the back of it, to hang it by.

And, since I was feeling resourceful and the deconstructed gray denim was so inspiring, I made Dosha. He has a beltloop sewn to his back also. I would like to believe future children will be born with a similar feature. Not to hang them by...necessarily. I also cut out the cotton pockets of the jeans and turned them into protective sunglasses cases. And I took a few scraps to cover buttons with to adorn my convertible shoes.

Swisha and Dosha

Check out Martha's repurposed denim rug .

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I wish I had your creativity, because my partner has many a pair of crotch-hole jeans to make masterpieces out of! For now I will have to live vicariously through you and continue to haphazardly "patch" them...