Thursday, September 25, 2008

best buttercream


Here is the recipe I use for buttercream.

In a saucepan, boil 1/2 cup water and 2 1/4 cups sugar.

When it begins to boil, set timer for 7 minutes. With two minutes remaining (after 5 minutes), whip 1 cup egg whites at high speed. They should be stiff when timer goes off.

Slowly add the sugar syrup to the egg whites while mixer is on high speed. Avoid pouring directly on the whip. Beat until the bowl is cool to the touch, about 10 minutes.

Slowly add 6 sticks butter cut into 1-inch chunks (I use salted, though it calls for unsalted). As the buttercream firms, reduce to low speed and add 1 tsp vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.

This recipe is from The Whimsical Bakehouse in Ithaca, NY. I have made it many many times. I have been asked for the recipe more times than I can count. While I have never completely botched it, the degree of success varies. I feel compelled to warn that the 10-minute approximation in the recipe is completely bogus. When pouring the sugar syrup into the beaten egg whites, the mixture becomes so incredibly hot that 10 minutes of beating on high speed is nowhere near enough time to cool the mixture. 20 minutes is a better ballpark. I also cheat on the side of cool butter to aid in the cooling process. When my trusty pink KitchenAid fails me, I will have this recipe to blame. I recommend making a whole batch every time. You can freeze it for up to a month. Or longer, but I feel morally obligated to err on the conservative side. When baking, not voting. Bell's palsy my ass. I can't figure out which is worse: a president who isn't afraid to make a fool of himself speaking in public or one who is.

No comments: