Tuesday, March 17, 2009

the power of now

Last year I read The Power of Now. I talk about it a lot and always feel sheepish. I imagine that people are just waiting for me to move out of earshot before sharing their glee at my recent descent into the New Age. I smell like patchouli to them. They watch my hands relative to my pockets for the first signs of emerging literature. I am that person.

Truthfully, the book simply had a few wise things to offer me. It then proceeded to reiterate them on every one of its 300+ pages. Despite this, I still have trouble explaining the concept. I recently gave my copy to a friend. I did this knowing full well that the book is all about timing. On a few days of a person's life, this book will mean something to them. On most days, it will read like the guy on the bus you shouldn't make eye contact with.

Here is a passage that I aim to live by:

'Accept- then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.'

No comments: