Wednesday, March 25, 2009

fruits of Mankato, MN

I visited my grandparents in Mankato, MN a few weeks ago. We spent the day hanging out. This involved a trip to Panera Bread Company where my order of a kid's roast beef sandwich, RB in Panera shorthand, was mistaken for PB and I received a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, instead. I wonder how often that happens.

Grandma and Grandpa took me on a jaunt through the local Salvation Army. Mankato is a mecca of secondhand treasures- and I don't just mean my grandparents' house (though grandma has personally shown me her stash of elastics cut from old mens' undies that she hopes to someday find the perfect use for). I think Mankato's stronghold in the secondhand world has to do with a thriving assisted living community that requires a constant downloading of entire lives' worth of stuff. I returned to Minneapolis with a pair of white cowboy boots, a pink chiffon dress and a complete set of leatherworking tools. Unqualified success.

The G's also took me to Barnes and Noble, where Grandma confided that Grandpa can disappear for hours. She seemed concerned. I was not. One of the things I miss most about living in NYC is my frequent evening visits to Barnes and Noble, where I would regularly disappear for hours. The Mankato store did not disappoint. I leafed heavily through the latest issue of Craft magazine, in which I discovered some very inspiring ladies. Check out Domestic Construction and Valerie Hammond. I am mesmerized by Valerie's lithograph print dresses.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi, Jackie! Is this the blog mentioned in the Christmas letter? :) I am excited to be a follower, and may perhaps be motivated to un-defunct my own.

I am laughing out loud over Grandma's stash of elastics! I cannot decide whether I am envious or thankful to have not seen this stash. Love, Sarah.

jackie said...

Hey, Sarah! Good to cross paths in the blogosphere. Send me a link to your blog. I'd love to read it.