Monday, October 13, 2008

random scraps of kindness

A year and a half ago, I bought a vintage pillowcase. I spent the next 5 months half-heartedly searching for the perfect round pillow to stuff it with. Then, having realized that I would never feel completely at ease placing my face directly on any part of the pillowcase, I tucked it away. Only recently did I endeavor to deconstruct it, deeming the whole markedly less than the sum of its parts. I can't think of many instances in which this is true, but sororities come to mind. And art installations made of paperclips.

Each silken scrap that comprised this piece is magical to me. Today I wore my transformer shoes to work with clusters of the vintage silk on the toe of each. I was expecting my shoes to meet with a certain amount of admiration. No one even mentioned my shoes, save for Larry. Larry asked if I was wearing my shoes on the wrong feet. In his defense, if I had been wearing my high heels on the wrong feet for 6 hours and counting, I would be deeply indebted to Larry for pointing that out. So, a lukewarm thanks goes out to LarBear.

It would be fair to point out that the pillowcase was kind of cool and now I have a pile of tiny silk scraps. This crossed my mind as well. Which is why I am going to send silk scraps to a few people in my life who I think will appreciate them. Spread the love.

1 comment:

Sarah Ryhanen said...

i got silk scraps, i got silk scraps!!!