Thursday, October 23, 2008

enthusiasm II


My neighbor is an enthusiast. I also like fall. Not Halloween so much, but fall in general. I know people who think of fall as nothing more than prelude to winter. A sign of doomsday approaching. And while I, too, consider winter in Minnesota to be the next best thing to the end of the world, fall is so much more than intro to that. Just last week, I walked outside in my favorite clothes and the air was just cool enough to make me aware of every place on my body that the sun was touching. It was not cold nor warm- simply vibrant air all around me. Colored leaves were falling from trees in a lazy way, landing on the sidewalk before lifting back up and around. The sound like a windchime made of paper shells. The light was golden and discerning. I was in love with this day. This is how I feel about fall. I want to protect it from winter. I want people to appreciate it more. I want fall to come early and last forever. And quite possibly I only want these things because I know I will never have them.


crabby apples make me happy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I call them crapples. They make me constipated.

jackie said...

Everything makes you constipated.