Wednesday, August 27, 2008

root veg collection


For whatever reason, my root veg pictures are refusing to appear on this blog. Could be a vampire issue. I would rather believe my root veg collection is entirely composed of vampires than that Google has wronged me. Vampy root vegetables are far less earth shattering than a fallible Google.

I've been inadvertently collecting dried up root vegetables for years. My first acquisition came from the Capitol Square farmer's market in Madison my freshman year. A boy was selling little carved potatoes for 10 cents a piece next to his dad's potato stand. I think I gave him a quarter. A quarter has never bought a bigger smile than that. I would not have believed that my purple fingerling potato man would live to be ten years old. Dried potatoes are a lot like marriage. If you can make it through the first ten years- you're golden. I have since acquired a red potato man, an apple man and a dried burgundy carrot. Jessica mailed me the carrot two years ago. It arrived in the mail without frills. Already wilted and scabby with a note that said 'this reminded me of you.' I tried not to dwell on that for too long.

Tonight my root veggie family has grown. I was remarking to Jon about how quickly the two radishes left on the counter shriveled to the likes of something I was not about to eat. Then it hit me. My root veg fam! Take a good look at radish head before he is reduced to the size of a dried pea. What a cutie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They so cute!!!