Wednesday, July 2, 2008

potato salad champion

When I think of the Fourth of July, I think potato salad. I also think fireworks, but as I am nowhere near winning a firework building contest between me and my two sisters- I hardly think it worth mentioning. I won a potato salad improv contest held at the Polzin house last weekend. It wasn't a premeditated event. It was prompted by an extremely mayo-friendly batch of potato salad that mom whipped up to the tune of about 50 servings. Jessica could not palate it. She also could not keep that fact to herself. We all agreed that it probably couldn't hurt to adulterate it and hope for the best. So I suggested a contest. Ballsy, to say the least- given that I cannot hold a candle to my sisters' work in the kitchen. The rules were simple. Add anything you can find in the kitchen. Rinsing off the existing mayo and adding more potatoes were not allowed. I didn't stand a chance with a strategy of culinary integrity. I had no choice but to take the route of complete irreverence and hope for the best. Here is my winning recipe. It sounds disgusting, but is surprisingly good.

8 servings potato salad w/ heavy mayo
add the following to taste:
Famous Dave's BBQ sauce
curry powder
chili powder
apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper
craisins, roughly chopped
garnish with toasted, salted walnuts


Jessica added a lot of vinegar, several varieties of olives, fennel seed, salt and pepper, wilted spinach (intentionally so), green pepper and a wealth of other stuff


Jamie added sweet corn, chili beans, chili powder, salt and pepper, etc. The edible flowers were a nice touch.


Hey, babes- we're all winners. (but there's only one champion)

No comments: