Monday, March 14, 2011

Friday Saturday pillows



I visited Jamie in NYC in October. We hit the Flea at Hansen Place. It is top notch thanks to vendors with impeccable style and a well-curated food court featuring kimchi hotdogs and a gelato stand that is willing to sell kiddie portions to anyone who asks. We never leave empty-handed. I bought two embroidered dish towels to craft into pillows. Jamie called me out on it over Christmas. The dish towels were still hanging in aforementioned project closet.

Yesterday was all pillow magic. Two embroidered towels, two pairs of secondhand linen pants (one really huge pair), two thrift store zippers and let's say a couple of hours later...



I love these embroideries. I imagine Sunday is a martini.

How to:
Here is a link to making pillows out of sweaters. You can skip all the felting business, as long as you don't plan to wash the end result in hot water. The premise is universal. I like to add zippers to my pillows for easy cleaning. It complicates the process and may or may not be worth it to you. Check out this tutorial for a basic zipper lesson. If you are shopping deliberately for something old to repurpose into a pillow- shop big. Gigantic pants don't cost more, which is crazy.

No comments: